Training for adults and young people with special needs
Glachbeg offers personalised training packages for adults and youg people with special needs. There is no standard format, but typically a client will work through a progression from carrying out supervised tasks, through to independence and responsibility. Targets are set and achievements are reviewed against those targets frequently.
We are small enough to adapt to individual requirements and even to introduce new experiences that suit the needs of clients.
Current opportunities include working with animals, animal care tasks, vegetable growing, maintenance, conservation tasks, tree nursery work, egg collection and packaging, data collection, working independently and working in groups.
The flexibility offered extends to the procedure adopted for integrating a new client into Glachbeg, but it would normally take the following form:
- An initial meeting on site to judge the suitability of the client and the context.
- An application to Glachbeg for a placement.
- A short period of time for acclimatisation - probably no more than three sessions.
- A meeting to agree the suitability of the placement and the setting of targets.
- Regular review meetings with the client and key worker to review targets, or to set new targets. Normally at a maximum of six week intervals.
It is not intended that a placement here should be a long term one unless it is deemed appropriate for the clients needs. It is usually preferable for clients to attend weekly rather than several times in the same week, but once again this is subject to the needs of the client.
- Work will largely be outdoors.
- There are Health and Safety matters to consider, including those associated with working outdoors with livestock and tools. Risk assessments are in place for activities, though these will need to be adapted to suit individual's circumstances.
- It is expected that clients should have suitable clothing for working outdoors - including overalls, waterproofs and steel toe capped Wellingtons.
- As this project is on a small scale, there will not be large numbers of people about.
- All placements are subject to availability.
- Sole female clients will need to be chaperoned, or to attend with others.
- If attending with their own key worker, this person will hold responsibility for the care of the client, and will supervise on a continuous basis. Glachbeg will hold responsibility for the provision of tasks and the equipment needed to carry them out. In this situation the key worker must be confident in the safe working practices necessary for these tasks.
What can Glachbeg offer?
- A work type context where clients can experience success.
- Satisfaction (or even fun!)
- We encourage the development of skills of independence, self responsibility and encourage initiative.
- The opportunity for clients to identify interests, and frequently an opportunity to pursue them.
- Life skills training.
- Some skills that may be appropriate for the work place.
In addition to work programmes, Glachbeg can offer education sessions such as Literacy and Numeracy. These programmes will be devised with yourselves to meet your particular requirements.
Charges for work programmes
Charges are per client (plus VAT). Please see "downloads" section for details
Glachbeg is a small family run centre, which means that we can be very flexible. This also means that in order to deliver a high quality service numbers are limited, and this number may vary depending on individual needs/seasons, etc.
Please make contact and arrange a meeting with us to discuss possibilities, including the appropriateness of programmes and waiting times.